Monday, January 5, 2009

Oh, No! Not the Bowling Alley!

I awoke this morning to the news that my bowling alley is gone- burned down last night. I am is shock and in mourning. Once again I find myself a member of a very small set: bowlers whose lanes have burned down THREE TIMES! What are the odds? I mean, this isn't Baltimore, or some other fine bowling city where people actually insure their bowling alleys for what it would cost to rebuild them if, god forbid, catastrophe strikes.
The first disaster was January (I think) 1991. Okay, the alleys burned, but they were able to save the outer walls, and we were bowling again by September. The second time was '99. The alleys were not rebuilt. So, I bowled a couple seasons at Pine Plains, and then went to Lewis Lanes. I can tell you this: there is no joy in Lowville (or Carthage) today.
As it happens, I AM bowling today- at Pine Plains with the Senior Citizen league. The mood will be glum. Every person in that league bowled in one or the other of the lanes that are no more.
You know what? I bought a new ball on Friday. So did 3 other members of my team. My ball is with me. Theirs are all at the bowling alley. Pass some more kleenex, please.

5 comments:

Russell Sprout said...

You are forgetting a FOURTH bowling alley. The bowling alley in Edwards burned down on our family. It was on the Oswegatchie River. And across the street from the fire department. Burnt to the ground.

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......

NOLA said...

I think Dot Fargo is behind the whole thing, little jealous bowling rage, maybe or perhaps passive-agressive golfers from carlowden decided if they can't golf, ya'll can't bowl.

NOLA said...

Um, if Dot is following your blog, Youm know I'm joking right.

Aunt Bananas said...

And yet bowling, not the sport we generally affiliate with flames and danger. I think its time to contact Discover and ABC about the new Seconds from Disaster Survivor Man(and Woman) Extreme Bowling Alley Makeover Edition options...